Backend Software Engineer - Feature Platform
This is Adyen
Adyen provides payments, data, and financial products in a single solution for customers like Facebook, Uber, H&M, and Microsoft - making us the financial technology platform of choice. At Adyen, everything we do is engineered for ambition.
As a Backend Engineer in the Data Solution, you will be building and scaling the brain behind the Adyen platform, with a focus on scaling access to the intelligence and capabilities businesses need to realize their biggest ambitions.
Currently we are looking for engineers to join our Feature Platform team. The team helps our merchants by enabling machine-learning powered products within the payment flow to discover, create and leverage complex features. This includes building data pipelines to create aggregations and a distributed storage layer that can serve such features in the real-time payment flow, globally.
We offer a unique opportunity to work on the industry cutting-edge: given the volume and constraints that come with near real-time decision-making, there is no industry-standard solution.
What You'll Do
- You will build and evolve solutions at the intersection between our distributed fintech platform and our big data platform.
- You will be part of a diverse and inclusive team.
- You will be working in a cross-functional and cross-border team (part of the team is in Amsterdam) with roles like Data Engineering, Data Science and Product
- We launch fast and iterate often. Concretely, this means that within your first few weeks, you will bring code live that impacts many businesses and shoppers.
- You will be fully responsible from its initial design to bringing new functionality live.
- Identify and improve parts of the platform to make it more robust and scalable.
- Collaborate across teams and time zones to make things happen, review code and be open to feedback.
Who you are:
- You have proven experience working with JVM-based programming languages (e.g. Java, Kotlin, Scala), distributed systems and large-scale databases (both relational and non-relational).
- You balance pragmatism with going into detail and have a healthy degree of curiosity, engaging with the team to find unobvious solutions.
- You like taking ownership, leading projects and involving others, based on a solid understanding of the “why” behind it.
- You have great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts.
- We are an international team, so we need you to have full professional proficiency (written and verbal) in English.
- Previous experience working on platform teams or with open-sourcing internal projects would be a plus!
- Our Tech Stack: Java 17, Gradle, Tomcat, PostgreSQL, Cassandra DB, Kafka and Elasticsearch
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments
Our unique approach is a product of our diverse perspectives. This diversity of backgrounds and cultures is essential in helping us maintain our momentum. Our business and technical challenges are unique, and we need as many different voices as possible to join us in solving them - voices like yours. No matter who you are or where you’re from, we welcome you to be your true self at Adyen.
Studies show that women and members of underrepresented communities apply for jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Does this sound like you? If so, Adyen encourages you to reconsider and apply. We look forward to your application!
Ensuring a smooth and enjoyable candidate experience is critical for us. We aim to get back to you regarding your application within 5 business days. Our interview process tends to take about 4 weeks to complete, but may fluctuate depending on the role. Learn more about our hiring process here. Don’t be afraid to let us know if you need more flexibility.
Please note that this role is a full-time position in Madrid. It will require a relocation in case you live outside of Spain.
The way we work is guided by the eight principles of the Adyen Formula.
Our engineers are building the first financial technology platform that combines payments, data, and financial services. We’re looking for more talented problem solvers to help us address a unique set of challenges.